Friday, June 3, 2011

Shape

I am determined to get in better shape.  I've had so many excuses before.  I was pregnant, I was recovering from a pregnancy loss, it was pointless to lose weight when I just planned to get pregnant and would be gaining weight anyway.  But all those excuses have disappeared now and I'm ready to reclaim my body.  Admittedly, my body has been through a lot in the past few years, but there's no reason I can't get back in better shape again.

When I was younger, I was always one of those people who could eat anything at all and never exercise and it never made any difference.  I was never athletic, never liked working out.  But nonetheless, in high school I was "skinny Jenny".  What I would give to have that body back...

Now that I'm in my 30s it's more true than ever that my body has definitely changed.  I'm surprised sometimes when I see pictures of myself now-- that is so not how I imagine myself in my head.  I don't expect to have my teenage body back, but it's time to make some changes for myself.

I've been trying to eat a little more sensibly and exercise more.  I've walked with the babies several times this week.  It's hard because we have to get going so early before it gets too hot to be outside anymore.  I'd always imagined it would be so easy to be healthy with me mostly staying home with the babies.  I could eat healthy right out of my fridge and would be chasing the babies around.  But in reality, it's also really easy to snack on whatever is around anytime I might want to.  And that's not always a lot of healthy snacking.  Truthfully there's not always a lot of chasing the babies-- I can mostly sit here on the couch and supervise without getting up too much.  But I'm trying to change that too.  I'm not trying to make any major, drastic changes.  I know I'm more likely to keep up with it if I make smaller, more reasonable changes that can fit easily into my life.

My biggest downfall is all the bad food that I love.  My absolute favorite thing to eat is hamburgers.  If it didn't matter, I could eat a hamburger every day of the week and be so happy.  But my body shows me that is not a good idea anymore.  I'm trying to limit myself to just one hamburger a week at the most.  It's also hard when Shannon cooks because he tends to make HUGE portions.  I really appreciate him cooking and love his food, but it's just so MUCH.

I used my Wii Fit a few weeks ago.  It had been almost a year since I last used it.  It told me I weighed exactly the same weight that I had a year ago.  At least it wasn't more, but I'm ready for it to be less.  I've lost a couple of pounds this week, but I know that can easily creep right back up if I'm not careful.  I am determined to lose at least 10 pounds and/or a pant size by the end of the summer.  I have boxes full of clothes that are one size smaller that I would love to be able to wear again.  I know that's still not necessarily an ideal weight for me, but it's a good start.  Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

jennwfree said...

Rock on, Jenny! I just started Weight Watchers two weeks ago, and I love their new program. I'm not disciplined enough to lose weight on my own. I would highly recommend them if you end up wanting a program.

I started gaining weight when we couldn't conceive and especially after my ectopic in spring 2008 and never looked back. I am about 15 pounds above where I started at that time and about 20 above what I was in grad school. But it looks like more! I didn't realize all the crap I had been eating until I had to start tracking it all with WW. I haven't gotten to the point of actual exercise yet, but maybe that will come in time.

It's so funny that I just read your post now. I had just commented to some friends on FB about how tough this weekend is for my diet since we are cooking out burgers with family tonight and I made peanut butter pies for tonight. Then I made a Twix Cake for family cookout #2 tomorrow. I love burgers too. Do you have Five Guys in TX?