Monday, June 20, 2011

Check-up

I took Sweet Pea to her 1 year check-up with the pediatrician today.  I was hoping for her to weigh at least 14 pounds and she was just under.  She has grown a lot taller now and is now finally actually on the growth chart for her height, but just barely.  Her head circumference is in the 0.04th percentile, but finally at least has a percentile.  Her weight is still in the zero percentile, but, hey, at least she's still growing  :)

The doctor did have a concern because she could feel the edge of Sweet Pea's liver about 1 cm lower/bigger (?) than it should be.  She was worried that possibly her heart condition could be making other organs work harder to overcompensate.  She ordered more lab work and suggested I move up the next cardiology appointment.  She didn't make a huge deal out of it, but it is concerning because she's never felt it before.  It wasn't like she said she needed an emergency cardiology appointment, but it still has me worried.  Ever since we've had Sweet Pea, all of her medical needs have only improved-- she's been taken off medications and looks more and more healthy all the time.  I think I'll feel better when we know what's going on with this, but it's hard not to be the worrier I tend to be.

Speaking of worrying, I'm going to a permanency plan meeting about Sweet Pea tomorrow morning.  This is another thing they say I don't need to be at, but I am choosing to go to be there for her.  I want it to be clear beyond a shadow of a doubt that we care for her best interests and that we're in this for the long haul.  It shouldn't be any new news at the meeting.  Just a recap of how she's doing and discussion of the plan for her.  I am a little concerned that bio mom could be there.  We've never seen her before, but technically she would be invited to this since termination has not happened yet.  Obviously I'm not taking Sweet Pea.  I know we could see bio mom at court, but this meeting will be in a much more informal setting and I'll be there without Shannon.  Sweet Pea's caseworker and our agency case manager will be there, so at least there will be two friendly faces who I know want Sweet Pea to stay with us.

She has been with us five months exactly today.  In some ways, it feels both longer and shorter.  It feels like we blinked and now she's one, but at the same time I can hardly imagine a time when she wasn't here.  We are so very blessed to have this sweet little girl come into our lives.  After all this time, I am so grateful to be here.

No comments: