Monday, February 21, 2011

Separation Anxiety

Sweet Pea had her follow-up with the ENT doctor who did her ear tube surgery today.  All was well.  He just looked in her ears and said come back in 3 months.  That's it for an hour drive down there??  An hour drive that Sweet Pea cried through most of?  It seems that her separation anxiety is getting worse.  I took her and Cash for a walk in the double stroller the other day and she cried, no screamed through over half of it.  I really think it's because in that stroller, she faces forward and can't see me while we're walking.  Every once in a while, I would stop walking and lean over to reassure her and she would be just fine until we started walking again.  And now she's starting to cry just about every time we take her in the car too.  I sat in the back with her on the way back from the doctor's office today and she was just fine.  I never wanted to be that obsessive mom who had to sit in the back with the baby, but there I am.  On one hand, it's sweet that she wants us to be near her.  But honestly, it's also irritating and exhausting at times too.  Cash absolutely loves going for walks and riding in the car, happily falling asleep almost every time.  What kind of baby doesn't like these things?  I know the answer.  A baby who's been traumatized and moved from place to place and person to person her whole tiny life and is just now finally getting to attach to some regular caregivers.  I've studied all this in school.  I get it.  But man, is it a different story now that we're living it.  Really though, we're lucky to get to be these special people in her life and I'm thrilled that she knows she's safe and secure here with us.  I'd just like to be able to take a walk or run some errands without a screaming baby, you know?  ;)

No comments: