Tuesday, February 15, 2011

8 months

Today is Sweet Pea's 8 month birthday, which is so hard to believe because she is still so tiny.  She has started doing more and more this week, especially with the help of a physical therapist who comes out twice a week now to work with her.  All of her appointments, etc certainly keep us busy these days.

Our biggest adventure has been starting her on a new formula.  The doctor ordered for her to be put on a higher calorie formula so she can gain more weight.  We finally got the formula in last week and have been trying to help her adjust to it.  It really upset her stomach at first so we've been mixing it in with her old formula.  Then she was constipated.  All right up until she pooped everywhere when we got her out of the bath last night.  I think we can officially be called parents now that she pooped right in my hand, then Shannon and I just cheered for her!  I take her to the doctor's for a weight check on Friday and she better have gained some after all this!

We're finally getting a bedtime routine down and it's starting to go smoothly this week.  We've been doing bath, bottle and bed, but we have been able to add reading a book in there too.  My heart just about melted when I watched Shannon reading "Goodnight Moon" to Sweet Pea the other night.  I was even able to do the whole thing all by myself tonight since Shannon got called in to work unexpectedly and it went great.

Sweet Pea is starting to show some signs of separation anxiety from me, which is a good and healthy thing.  1) It's appropriate for the developmental level where she is now and 2) It shows she's forming a good attachment.  On the days recently when I've had to be out working and either Shannon or my mom have kept her, she does great with them all day.  But if I come in after being gone all day and just say hi, then walk out to go change clothes or whatever, she'll scream and cry until I come back and hold her.  It both breaks my heart and makes me feel so special.  I do want her to be bonded to me and to know that I am her safe person, but I also want her to feel safe and comfortable with others.  But honestly and selfishly, it does feel good for her to need me over anyone else.  It feels good to be needed.

2 comments:

jennwfree said...

I hope that the weight check goes well for you guys. And I love that you are totally embracing everything...including poop in the hand :)

I know what you mean about feeling needed and how good that feels - my son is (for once) back in bed right now (I wish I could say the same for myself), but he woke up at 4 and wants me to be the one to hold him and cuddle him. Some mornings I think "why can't I just sleep?!" but it is such a sweet time and it is so cool that these little beings have such trust that we can make it better.

Unknown said...

LOVE the last line. :) So true.