Saturday, May 7, 2011

Eleven years ago today

Eleven years ago today, Shannon and I starting dating.  We had met a few weeks earlier and hung out several times as a group with other friends.  The attraction was there and building, but neither had admitted to it yet.  Then one of my best friends had her 21st birthday party in her backyard.  We got a keg (some kind of cheap beer I can only imagine) and a moonwalk jump house and had a great time.  Shannon was living with another mutual friend across the street from the birthday party.  I still have such a clear memory of the moment he walked into the party and realizing I could not hide my attraction anymore.  This was the first time I'd seen him all cleaned-up, shaved, with his hair fixed and all.  Such a cutie.

Later I found out that he had a similar reaction to seeing me that day too.  He told his best friend "I'm going home with that girl tonight" and that he thought my butt was cute.  He loves to tell that part of the story because he knows it embarrasses me.  He even told it during our homestudy interview and I could just imagine them including "cute butt" as one of my good qualities for our foster/adopt application.

The first time we kissed, he told me flat out "I don't want a girlfriend".  Fine, I thought, he'll just be a fun fling for the summer.  He told me many times during that summer that he couldn't imagine ever getting married or wanting to have kids.  He was so determined not to be in serious relationship.  But then we were, for all intents and purposes, living together within a few months and have been practically inseparable ever since.  You just never know what the future holds...

No comments: