Friday, May 20, 2011

Anniversary


Today is our 6 year wedding anniversary.  Shannon got off work early and we just sat down together and watched the video of our wedding for the first time in years.  It was even more beautiful than I'd remembered, truly wouldn't change a thing.  We had a destination wedding on the island of St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands.  Shannon really wanted to elope and I really wanted my family to be there, so this was our compromise.  It turned out to be just perfect for us.  No stress, just fun and relaxation.  Shannon and I had a couples massage together the morning of our wedding, then got manicures and pedicures.  I didn't care about all the little details of the wedding like some brides do.  Didn't even know what my bouquet would look like until they handed it to me right before the ceremony, but it was beautiful.  Had never met the minister that married us, but he spoke some of the most perfect and touching words for us.  How could we go wrong with the backdrop of the ocean right behind us?  Shannon cried first during the ceremony, which was the absolute sweetest thing.

We look so young in our wedding video/pictures.  Had no idea what was in store for us.  Didn't know Shannon would be hospitalized and have major lung surgery in the first year of our marriage.  Didn't know  we'd try for three years to try to get pregnant, only to have four losses.  I think we have the "in sickness and health" part down.

We're going out on a date tonight for the first time since we got Sweet Pea.  My mom is going to keep her while we go to dinner.  Not sure what else we'll do, but I definitely looking forward to an evening alone with my best friend, my partner, my love of my life.

2 comments:

jennwfree said...

Happy Anniversary! One of my best friends got married on your exact same day and honeymooned in the USVI (but I can't remember which island).

We got married in July 2005 :)

How did Sweet Pea do with your evening out?

Unknown said...

LOVE this pic!