Monday, November 22, 2010

Past and Future Coming Together

Today I went through deja vu world.  This morning I babysat for a little girl I used to nanny for full time a couple of years ago.  I hadn't been there in over a year, but it was all just the same.  Same toys, same crazy rules and expectations from mom.  Then I went to meet with an old friend at the children's shelter where I worked for the better part of four years, but finally quit for good almost 3 years ago.  That was just before the ectopic experience.  Actually looking back, I was already "a little pregnant" when I quit working there, but didn't know it yet.  It's been an eventful and life-changing few years since then...  Now that I have my full counseling license and no full time job, I'm hoping to be able to do contract therapy work out there.  Things had changed out there, but so much of it was still eerily familar.  I spent so much time in both these places, especially the shelter.  It's a place that I still dream about from time to time.  I miss working there, but just don't think I could do direct care like that again, especially with our own kids going to be here relatively soon.  It's a good feeling to be able to finally come full circle and work there again, finally getting to use my counseling skills there like I'd always wanted.

When I got home tonight, there was an e-mail from our case manager at Pathways saying they were checking with families that are in the verification process like we are to see if we could provide respite care for 2 little girls, ages 1 and 2.  Their foster parents have to go out of state for a death in the family and they need someone to care for them for a few days.  Families like us are ideal because we don't have our own foster kids yet, but we've just taken all our classes and have had our home inspections, etc.  We considered it for a bit, but decided we just couldn't do it because we already have plans to go out of town for Thanksgiving this week.  But it's gotten me thinking about how not-ready we are in a practical sense.  I really do need to get my act together and clean out these closets and organize these rooms and get everything I can ready for when we actually are licensed and expecting a call at any minute.  It could be here before we know it.

2 comments:

jennwfree said...

Crap. I just wrote a huge comment and it didn't post and I lost it. The gist of it was that I am super-excited for you that your child or children appear to be just around the corner! You have a lot of changes going on between the job changes and preparing the house for kids and everything.

I had a lot to catch up on because it's been a while since I checked in. We moved out of our house and in with my in-laws while our new house is being built, so I haven't had my own computer in about 1.5 months, meaning that I haven't had my regular bookmarks to remind myself what sites I check in on. I'll try to do a better job checking for updates!

So, my news is that I'm expecting. I hesitated to share since I know it's sometimes raw news so I hope it's okay to tell you! It was a bit of a shock (unplanned) to find out after experiencing fertility problems and the EP the first time around.

Anyway, I need to get back to work. Good luck and keep us posted!

Unknown said...

Jennifer-- I'm so happy to hear your good news!! E-mail me directly (bauer.jenny@gmail.com) or find me on facebook sometime-- I can't ever reply to your comments and so often want to tell you thank you for reading and keeping in touch!!