Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Trying again

We discussed it and decided to go ahead and try starting this month. Originally I was going to wait since we were just getting started at the fertility doctor and hadn't even had all the tests or officially gotten a plan from the doctor yet. But what are all those tests and plans going to change? I know that most likely they're going to recommend IVF and that we don't want to do that. I'll admit that maybe, just maybe, I would consider it if we didn't have to pay for it. But really, it just doesn't feel right for us. I just want the chance to get pregnant as naturally as possible for me.

I kept hearing in my head that the HSG could help us get and stay pregnant for the next few months. Then the doctor called the next morning to say they saw evidence of swelling/irritation in my tube when she reviewed my HSG results. (Duh, I've told everyone all these years that it hurts there almost daily. No shocker to me.) So they're putting me on a course of antibiotics. I know I've heard of research showing that antibiotics can help your chances of getting and staying pregnant too. So I just couldn't pass up this shot to go ahead and try now. I don't think it will happen right away, but we might as well start now. I never asked the doctor if we should try this month or wait. I didn't want to hear her answer. I've been through this enough now to know I need to trust myself most in this process.

On a semi-related note, Shannon has a much younger brother who got married this summer. They're in their early twenties and still living at home with her parents (in a far away state from us). When we were there for the wedding, people inevitably asked when they were going to have kids and they said they definitely wanted to wait. Fast forward about a month. Surprise, surprise, she's already pregnant (another one from their honeymoon, no less.) I wanted to be happy for them. But really I wasn't. I thought they should wait, etc. But really I was jealous. I cringed at their announcement on Facebook and pictures they were posting of her little belly.

We recently found out that the pregnancy is not going well. Today I was told details that tell me this is definitely ending in miscarriage. It sounds like the doctor is still giving them hope. But I know better. No heartbeat at 11 weeks? It's not happening. There's no way your dates are that off. But I couldn't say that to them. They've reached out to us because they know we've been through it all too many times before. All I could honestly tell her was to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. And keep talking about it with people they know and trust.

It's sad that anyone has to go through this. And sad how scared and alone it makes you feel when in reality, they are so many of us who have experienced the very same thing. I'm thinking I really don't want to stay quiet about it all anymore. I may even share more with my real life friends about my current fertility experience, which I've barely done before. What's the point of staying quiet about it? It didn't help before and definitely didn't help when I was struggling through losses.

No comments: