Sunday, January 19, 2014

Gotcha

Tomorrow is Payton's gotcha day; three whole years since she came to our home and changed our lives forever. I will forever be grateful to those that loved and cared for my daughter before we had a chance to. And forever be thankful that I get to be her mommy.

Tonight before bed, Payton chose to read "Are You My Mother?" We always love this one together, but it was especially poignant tonight. I took the opportunity to try to expand on her understanding of adoption. I told her we were just like the book, looking for each other until we finally found one another.

I asked her if she knew what it means to be adopted. She said yes with a big smile on her face, but wasn't able to say more. I explained that she had another mother and father when she was born. She said "My birth mommy and daddy?" I said they tried their best to take care of her, but they weren't able to. I said she lived in a hospital and a foster home before coming here. I told her that when they brought her here and we saw her for the first time, we said "Oh, there she is. There is our daughter."

She smiled and seemed to understand. I told her I was sad I didn't get to know her when she was born, but I'm so lucky to get to be her mommy forever.

No comments: