Saturday, March 5, 2011

A New Perspective

It's funny how quickly life changes.  A year ago, I was pregnant for the last time and struggling with the highs and lows that came along with that.  Shannon was changing jobs.  Little did we know he would change jobs two more times in this past year and I would quit mine.  Little did we know we would stop trying to conceive and start trying to adopt.  Little did we know how quickly it would all happen and that we would have little Sweet Pea with us now.

We went over to visit an old friend of Shannon's last night.  It was his first time to meet Sweet Pea.  His parents were there and they were thrilled to meet her too since they've known Shannon forever.  They also adopted many years ago and know some of what we're experiencing.  While we were there, Sweet Pea got fussy so I gave her a bottle.  Afterward, I was trying to burp her when she starting to cough, then spit up everywhere.  It was one of those horrible spit ups that even came out her nose and she was struggling to breathe and turning bright red.  It scared me to death.  I know some babies spit up all the time and it's no big deal.  But Sweet Pea almost never does.  And with her cardiac/pulmononary issues, it's scary.  I'm always afraid maybe she's aspirating her formula and it's going into her lungs.  After she spit up, she seemed a little freaked out too and not feeling like herself.  By the time we got home, of course she was happy and smiling and excited it was bathtime, but it left me a little shaken for the rest of the evening.

It's amazing how she has wrapped us around her little finger in such a short period of time.  Shannon had an opportunity to be able to get paid to drive Randy Travis around all day on Sunday.  He considered it for awhile, then decided no, he'd rather stay home and spend the day with his girls.  Melt my heart...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How sweet that Shannon turned down a brush with celebrity to be with you guys. That's awesome.

Funny as I read this - it was exactly 3 years ago today that I found out I was pregnant for the first time after fertility problems with what turned out to be the EP. Little did I know what would happen a few days later or that a month later I would be having surgery to remove a fallopian tube! Or that 3 years later I would be in such a happier place. What a difference time makes.

So happy for you, Jenny, that you are finding such joy as you mother your little Sweet Pea!