Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fed up

I am fed up with all the therapists that come out to our house to work with Sweet Pea.  They are always changing the day/time they are coming, cancelling last minute, showing up late, coming up with all kinds of excuses.  Seriously, little boys with their "the dog ate my homework" have nothing on these ladies.  The physical therapist (who comes out twice a week) says her schedule changes so much that she can't ever really plan a time she will be here.  She's supposed to come on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons and usually she just calls about an hour before she wants to come.  So this means two days a week, I spend most of the afternoon wondering if and when she'll call, then if and when she'll show up.  The speech therapist has only been here twice so far.  She gave me a big speech about how important her patients are to her and how working with them is the most important thing to her.  But then she spends half the time answering her cell phone, always with an excuse ("It's my boss, can't ignore that one", etc.)  The occupational therapist thankfully only comes once a week and does plan a time, but undoubtedly texts to change it at the last minute.  She'd already changed the time on us once for this morning, then texted to say she was having car trouble and she'd be a little later.  Then texted again later saying could she come tomorrow instead.  I lied and said we have plans tomorrow.  I've just had it with their inconsiderate behavior.  It's not enough that I'm taking care of two small babies on my own all day.  When I know one of the therapists is supposed to be coming, I try really hard to make sure Sweet Pea is fed, napped, happy, presentable and ready to work.  I tidy up the house and make sure I have Cash happy too.  Then they're late and by this time we're all fussy and I'm tired of feeling like I have to apologize for it.  So I'm putting my foot down.  They need to pick a time and stick to it.  I'm willing to give them an hour block to get here for their half-hour sessions.  But that has to be it.  I'm too much of a people pleaser, I know.  I've been way too accomodating to them.  But that's doing a disservice to myself, to Sweet Pea, to their profession.  I've done home visits in my own work and I can tell you I was always there when I said I would be, if not early.  It's just unprofessional and disrespectful not to be.  I'm doing my part, they need to do theirs.  I've seriously considered changing companies.  I've stayed with this one because it was already set up for Sweet Pea before we had her and it seemed to easiest, but now I'm not sure.  I hate confrontation, but this is getting to be too much.  I do really like the PT and ST personally and can see the benefit of their work with Sweet Pea.  I'm still not sure what the OT really does or how it helps.  I've always told myself, well at least I'm not having to pay for this.  But Medicaid does.  They get paid every time they come out here, whether they're four hours late or have changed the time/day on us five times.  And frankly, that is unfair.

Thanks for listening to my rant.  I just needed to vent and get that out.  Hope I can stay strong and stand up for our rights...

1 comment:

jennwfree said...

ARG - I just typed a huge comment about how justified you are in being aggravated and how I would totally be looking into other options too. For some reason it didn't load and when I hit the 'back' button it deleted itself.

1. Your time is as valuable as theirs, and they shouldn't take advantage of you being nice.

2. I feel your pain - I remember going to get my son's picture made when he was just a few weeks old. We had an appointment, but they ran over an hour late. By the time they got to us, he was cranky, hungry, tired, etc. Needless to say, the pictures were not the best ones ever. I thought it was so rude to have given the appointment and not have warned us. And that wasn't anything important like what you're dealing with!

3. I know what you mean about trying to respect people's time in your professional life. I try (unlike some people in my office) to see people on time. That doesn't always work because some of my clients run an hour early, an hour late, etc. and that can really screw the schedule up. Someone in my office always thinks that they can wait because "you have to wait to see a doctor" but I don't really get on board with that.

Good luck!
PS - I swear I'm not stalking your blog :) The baby is past-due; I started maternity leave as of yesterday; my son is at daycare; and I am completely bored! But not bored enough to do housework.