Thursday, August 2, 2012

Diversity

I went to a training on diversity today. It was informative and helpful for my work, but nothing really new.

I came home this afternoon and "played people" with Payton. I recently got out a dollhouse and dollhouse people for her and she absolutely loves to take the people out of the box, make them sit down and group them together.

I was watching her play and just loving the way she groups the "families" together with no regard for differing races. I love that the fact black fireman can be the daddy to the white little girl and that she thinks nothing of it. I remember having clients as young as 4 or 5 who already group all the blond people together as an appropriate family and have trouble thinking outside of this box.

I hope Payton can always hold on to this sense of belonging regardless of outside differences. We clearly do not look alike in our family, but I hope she'll always know she belongs with us.

How's that for a diversity lesson?

No comments: