Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Birthdays and triggers

Today is my 33rd birthday.

I had my annual gyn exam this morning. I know, who schedules this for their birthday, right? Just happened to fall that way. As usual I was a little apprehensive about the appointment. Not because I have anything going on right now. It's just going to that office triggers a little piece of PTSD in me. I flashback to the other times I sat in that waiting room, the other times I sat on that exam table wondering what kind of news we would have from this pregnancy this time around. I was the last patient before lunch, so I was worried they'd be running behind and there would be a million happily pregnant women in the waiting room to rub it in my face. But it wasn't bad at all. Once I was in the exam room, I did have to do a little deep breathing to relax, but no major traumas. No heartbeats in the next room this time (thank God). There was a moment when I was waiting where I felt tears wanting to spring to my eyes. I hardly ever cry over these losses anymore these days, but something about that place just makes it all feel so fresh again. I just kept trying to picture my sweet Payton and her absolute joy when she sees me walk in the room. She makes it all worth it.

I do wonder if we'll ever TTC again. A big part of me still feels like I could not go down that dark road again. But every once in a while, I do get a little twitch to try again. A couple of weeks ago, I let my mind run away from me for a couple of days and imagined I could be pregnant. I was feeling nauseous and a little crampy. Obviously these could be due to all kinds of things, but it got me wondering. I'm clearly not, but at the time I wasn't sure whether I was relieved or disappointed. It would still be a long way off if we ever did try again, so I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Shannon's sister is pretty pregnant now, due at the end of August. I am very happy for them and look forward to being an aunt to this baby boy, but I still have issues being around her so pregnant at times. That little green jealousy just creeps back in from time to time. She's planning on scheduling a 4D ultrasound sometime soon and wants the whole family (including me) to be there for it. While I am happy to be invited and included, part of me wonders if I could handle this. Sure, I'd be able to hold it together in the moment, but ultrasounds are tough for me. No wonder why. Not sure how I'll handle this yet.

3 comments:

jennwfree said...

1. Happy birthday!

2. Flashback = totally understandable. After my ultrasound last week I was hoping there would be no stupid Doppler equipment next door. That is one of my most vivid memories from EP#1.

3. I think it is okay to feel this way. Having your beautiful Payton doesn't erase the huge struggles and losses that you went through to before you got her.

jennwfree said...

4. Having trouble typing from my phone. Ugh to the ultrasound. I'm sure she is lovely and that you will have a fantastic nephew, but why must everyone be there?! Can you come down with something?! Pretend shingles would be my suggestion. My husband was not allowed at our early ultrasound that was our post-EP#1 because of shingles :)

Unknown said...

HUGS TO YOU! I am going through the same thing. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I love you, friend! Bunches!